Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Something to Think About

So I was sitting in Applebees this afternoon, enjoying a drink with classmates before our last evening class, when we saw a minivan pull into the parking lot. The van was covered in what appeared to be bumper stickers about Jesus and Christianity. While I am a Christian, some of the statements on the stickers were a little too extreme for me, but to each his own. In my mind I was thinking that it was a little bit crazy that this van was plastered with so many stickers about Jesus, but at the same time realized how cool it was that in our country we have the freedom to display our beliefs and opinions on our car if we want, and these people were not afraid to do that!

That leads to what I saw next. The man, two women, and young boy who were in the van got out and started peeling the "stickers" off of the van. What I thought were stickers were actually just magnets that the owners could put on and remove whenever they pleased. This got me thinking about two things:
1. If you can drive around showing/telling the world your religious beliefs,
why is it that when you get to where you're going you need to remove
the proof of who you really are?

and

2. What could have possibly happened to these people's car that they
do not feel comfortable leaving the magnets on their car when it
is no longer in their sight?

While I don't know the answer to either of those questions, it got me thinking and got my friends and I talking about Christianity and what it really means to be a Christian. Anyway, just thought it was an interesting occurrence in my day that led to some actual intellectual stimulation--something I knew I wouldn't be getting in class that evening! Comment if you have any thoughts/opinions on what I experienced today!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment