Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Note to Self

I saw this quote today and it really spoke to me and I thought others might be able to relate to it as well. Losing someone you value is hard. It's difficult to leave behind someone you care about, to recognize that a huge portion of your life is gone, to fill the hole that the person's departure left in your life. But what I've learned recently is that doing those things when you've lost yourself is even more difficult. How can you pick up the pieces and move forward when you don't even know how to put the pieces back together because you don't know what they are supposed to form? I am guilty of losing myself in some of my past relationships. I put the other person ahead of myself 100% of the time, and I recognize now that that is not the key to a healthy or successful relationship. Because if that is the type of relationship you're in, at some point it's going to end. And then you're left with only yourself--except you don't have a self because you've let this other person become your whole world.

Right now I'm living my life focusing on myself for the first time in a long time. I'm reminding myself that I am special and that any person of value in my life will value me, too. I'm finding myself again, learning who I am, and any person that wants to be a part of my life in the future will love me for exactly that. I challenge you all to expect the same from those you value.

And now I'll end with a quote from the wise Kid Cudi: "The three things a guy should want to change about his girl are her last name, address, and her outlook on men." Deep, Cudi, really deep. But true.

Happy Hump Day, everyone (and Pi Day, too)!

No comments:

Post a Comment