Thursday, September 30, 2010

One of Those Nights

Sometimes I catastrophize. Yes, I'm being a good little counselor and using psychological terms, but seriously I do. I'm not guilty of it all the time, but there are times when my expectations are too high and I get disappointed or something goes wrong that I was really counting on, and I turn it into a much bigger deal than it actually is. Tonight it was bad news. I don't know what's going to happen. Things could turn out being fine and there won't be anything to worry about. However, there is also the possibility that things won't be fine, and of course that's the possibility I've been focusing on this evening. A highly emotional episode of Grey's Anatomy didn't help, and the fact that I'm low on sleep probably makes it even worse.

I guess it's probably a good thing that I can recognize this trait in myself since it's my job to recognize it in other people and help them see it in themselves. Since I am aware of it I guess that means I can target it and nip it in the bud. We shall see how that works, but for now I am off to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment